The End Of The Beginning  

Posted by Dino in , , ,

H & S prefer the promising young young'uns these days. (c).

At the place I currently work, we've just had the third restructure in the space of two years. Senior managers come and go every year or so – changing the focus and direction of the workplace each time. It all makes for a work environment with a hell of a lot of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. People literally get stuck, unable to figure out what to do with their work and their lives. Demotivation and anxiety is rife. However, a previous boss said something to me once that has stuck and always helped me get through:
Work with what you know is real and true. Ignore the gossip, rumors and possibilities. Work with the reality of what needs to be done today to get to where you need to get to. Ignore everything else.
For me, it has been sterling advice - sweeping away clutter and letting me focus on the right things.

In a similar way, the MBA application process certainly produces a lot of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. I've tried to keep applying the same mantra, but it has been quite hard. Thankfully, it's all over. I've been rejected by Harvard and Stanford. I'm free at last. :-)

For anyone in a similar situation and seeking consolation, here is some inspiration:
"I feel kind of blue. Am afraid that I will always be a poor man the way things look now."
W.K. Kellogg, before founding the cereal company now turning over $11.5 billion in revenue. [source].

Follow any responses to this entry through the

0 comments

Post a Comment