Reaching Career Goal Clarity  

Posted by Dino in ,

I've been working on my Career Goals essay. As I have hinted about previously, it has been slightly torturous. It has forced me to think really hard about the time-line of my life leading to the MBA and afterwards. After reading around and a lot of thinking, I've finally gained some clarity. As unlikely as it would have seemed to me even months ago, in broad terms I am thinking of a Private Equity type role immediately beyond the MBA. In the much longer term, I fear I'm going to spew out the usual 'starting a company' spiel that I'm sure many candidates will give - but it is what makes sense for me to say.

So what helped me? Perhaps one of the most useful articles that I have found is Jaguar Paw's Career Goals essay framework. Although it is structured in a similar way to how I was already thinking about approaching the essay, it has made me think more about my Short Term Goal following the MBA. I have also been inspired by the posts of many people blogging out there on all manner of MBA-related things. Some people say they go to MBA school to reflect on their life. I think there is plenty of reflection to be done in simply applying!

Now all I need to do is finish writing this essay in "400 words", "1000 words", "2 pages" and whatever other forms that the different schools require it in.

Follow any responses to this entry through the

2 comments

Torture is pretty much the perfect word for the career goals essay. I feel better knowing it's not just me...

Thanks for the hint about Jaguar's post. I also recommend Paul Bodine's book, Great Applicatiion Essays for Business School. It's relatively new and it has a lot of solid advice.

5 July 2008 at 04:19

Torture is pretty much the perfect word for the career goals essay. I feel better knowing it's not just me...

Thanks for the hint about Jaguar's post. I also recommend Paul Bodine's book, Great Applicatiion Essays for Business School. It's relatively new and it has a lot of solid advice.

5 July 2008 at 04:19

Post a Comment