Tips from Kellogg Alumni  

Posted by Dino in , ,

Kellogg students are Living On A Prayer. A sign of the economic times?

As I briefly mentioned in my last post, I met my Kellogg interviewer and a few other alumni for drinks. They gave me their top tips.
  1. Be prepared for American weirdness. Kellogg students like to sing Bon Jovi's Living On a Prayer. They like to sing it a lot. This is because the chorus "oooh, oh - we're half way there" has particular resonance apparently: half way through the MBA? half way through life? half way through the jug of beer ?... you get the idea.
  2. Go on KWEST, the service trip before starting at Kellogg. Some of your very best friends after Kellogg will be people you met on this first trip. Each of the trips attracts a different type of crowd. In fact, on each trip you go on while at Kellogg - you develop a close set of friends (though none as close as those on your KWEST trip). So, also go on the Ski trip. In the past it has been highly subsidized by the banks. A large number of students in the class go. It's a great party.
  3. Internship hiring will start quickly. Be prepared for it: CVs, etc. Most people think they have the first term to figure out what they want to do over the summer. They are wrong.
  4. Waive as many courses as possible. You want to get on to do the advanced courses, which is where the really interesting stuff is.
  5. Network, network, network. There are opportunities to meet a lot of people from a great many companies. Some people start keeping spreadsheets detailing each who they've met, their contact details and some memorable details to remind them of that person.
Another interesting thing that became apparent: most US students go on international KWEST trips, whereas the international students go around the US. Secondly, McManus halls is also mainly international students, wheras US students prefer to get apartments.

Follow any responses to this entry through the

6 comments

Thanks for posting this. It's super helpful!

2 February 2009 at 15:47

Thanks for posting this. It's super helpful!

2 February 2009 at 15:47

'american weirdness' as #1 tip :-D
but there's only so much bon jovi I can take... I guess I'll refer more to 'sleep when I am dead'.

2 February 2009 at 17:31

'american weirdness' as #1 tip :-D
but there's only so much bon jovi I can take... I guess I'll refer more to 'sleep when I am dead'.

2 February 2009 at 17:31

lifelessordinary: no problem.

bizwiz: lol. I prefer 'It's My Life' myself ;-).

2 February 2009 at 18:04

lifelessordinary: no problem.

bizwiz: lol. I prefer 'It's My Life' myself ;-).

2 February 2009 at 18:04

Post a Comment